Re: [linux-lvm] How does LVM-Cache work?

Thanks for answers.

I take a look in dm-cache-target, I really dont knew this project.

Joe, what is the best way to continue this discussion?

Do you have some documentation besides what is into kernel source, like Papers, Architecture Projects etc?
What is the best way to start to understand this?

Thanks!

2013/2/27 <thornber redhat com>
On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 03:44:43PM -0300, Leo Antonio wrote:
> Hello, everyone.
>
> I'm willing to do research about second-level cache using SSDs and I think
> that the best way to do this is using LVM/Device Mapper, because other
> implementations are based on FUSE, virtualization layers, and others.
>
> What I'm trying to do is to develop a subsystem that will put hot
> blocks/PEs on SSDs-Cache, as well as group related blocks/PEs on cache
> automatically. Not simply put on SSD the most  used files or directories.
>
> The problem is that I could not find any documentation about DM or LVM to
> help my research and development.
>
> Could you point me to some documentation or what's the best way to
> accomplish this?

See my dm-cache target in this branch of my tree:

https://github.com/jthornber/linux-2.6/tree/thin-dev

https://github.com/jthornber/linux-2.6/blob/thin-dev/drivers/md/dm-cache-target.c

There's still a lot of work to do on the policy plug-ins, so if you
like to get involved that would be great.

- Joe