[linux-lvm] Sparse LVs, --virtualsize equal to --size

Vangelis Koukis vkoukis at grnet.gr
Fri Jan 25 08:44:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 11:42:35pm +0000, Alasdair G Kergon wrote:
> So look at thin provisioning with its zeroing option.
> External origin.  (support currently being added to lvm)
>
> Or this not-yet-upstream target:
> http://people.redhat.com/agk/patches/linux/editing/dm-add-zeroed-target.patch
>
> Alasdair

Thanks Alasdair,

this seems to fit the bill perfectly, it's a shame it's
not yet merged upstream.

Until then, if we are to go with the "snapshot-over-the-zero-target"
route, can you comment on quantifying the space overhead of tracking
chunks in the snapshot?

Thanks again,
Vangelis.

--
Vangelis Koukis
vkoukis at grnet.gr
OpenPGP public key ID:
pub  1024D/1D038E97 2003-07-13 Vangelis Koukis <vkoukis at cslab.ece.ntua.gr>
     Key fingerprint = C5CD E02E 2C78 7C10 8A00  53D8 FBFC 3799 1D03 8E97

Only those who will risk going too far
can possibly find out how far one can go.
        -- T.S. Eliot