[linux-lvm] Resising underlying array

matthew patton pattonme at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 3 18:54:13 UTC 2013

> 200 MB for /boot was sensible years ago but now is a joke.

since when? All you need is 2 kernels. Have Linux 3.x kernels gotten out of hand? I only use RHEL/Centos5 and 6 and I've never even come close to running out.

> reduce the PV size without harm. But I'm unable to decide on a workflow and

> loosing data or downtime are not acceptable options...

then don't bother.

> So I'm begging your help on a suitable workflow to make this happen.

A. tell the customer "too bad" buy newer/bigger hard drives already and build new layout on new disks and DD/RSYNC data to new layout

Or if you like to play with fire:
* reduce filesystem size
* lvresize down to match
* resize MD member device (eg. http://webapp5.rrz.uni-hamburg.de/SuSe-Dokumentation/manual/sles-manuals_en/manual/raidresize.html)
* create partition out of newly available slack space (use kpartx and you should avoid a reboot)
* pvcreate on new partition, add to VG and grow LV into new space
* resize filesystem