[linux-lvm] vg disappeared after replacing disc in raid10

Stuart D Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Wed Mar 27 20:08:20 UTC 2013

On 03/25/2013 05:50 PM, Björn Nadrowski expounded in part:
> Well, I see I would have to remove the volume group first, at the very
> least.
I wouldn't.  Just think of your vgcreate as removing all LVs and
renaming the VG.  Now you want to undo all that
with a vgcfgrestore.
> But I would just be back in the middle of my problem description on
> ubuntuforums, wouldn' t I?
> Still no volume group, still no logical volumes...
Does knoppix have an older lvm version that doesn't recognize your
metadata?  I *hope* it doesn't have lvm1, which used binary metadata....

If you see the human readable metadata, and knoppix doesn't, then there
is a problem with knoppix.  Either ancient lvm, or the device filtered
out for vgscan in lvm.conf.