[linux-lvm] Is there any way for LVM2 mirrored volume to continue to work after the mirror is broken

Shi Jin jinzishuai at gmail.com
Mon Nov 4 16:32:23 UTC 2013

Hi there,

I was reading https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LVM#Failed_mirrors and this
page seems to suggest that the LVM mirror works differently from LVM2
RAID-1 in that when one of the two disks involved in the mirror/raid-1
is failed/removed:
* LVM mirroring would actually stop working and block IO until the OS
is rebooted with vgchange --partial
* LVM raid1 would simply continue to work in the degraded mode.

I tested both cases and the above is definitely true. But I am simply
surprised that is the behavior of LVM mirroring and wonder if there is
any way to keep the remaining leg to work without the need to reboot.

Thanks a lot,
Shi