[linux-lvm] Issue in creating thinpool when used different pool metadatasize

Rahul Hinduja rhinduja at redhat.com
Wed Apr 16 13:28:47 UTC 2014

Hello All,

This might be some basic mistake I would be doing with respect to different poolmetadata size.

When I am trying to create thinpool with poolmetadatasize as 4m it fails but similar is successful when I try to create with 5m. Default poolmetadatasize can be 2m to 16g so I am not sure what is error I am enforcing it to fail.

Kindly help me out with this issue.

Case 1: poolmetadatasize as 4m

#script to create thinpool with poolmetadatasize 4m

[root at rahul ~]# cat temp
pvcreate /dev/vdb
pvcreate /dev/vdc
pvcreate /dev/vdd
pvcreate /dev/vde

vgcreate snap_vg0 /dev/vdb /dev/vdc /dev/vdd /dev/vde
lvcreate -L 90G --poolmetadatasize 4m -T /dev/snap_vg0/snap_thin_pool0
#lvcreate -L 90G -T /dev/snap_vg0/snap_thin_pool0
lvcreate -V90G -T /dev/snap_vg0/snap_thin_pool0 -n snap_thin_vol0
[root at rahul ~]#
[root at rahul ~]#

Case 2: poolmetadatasize as 5m

#script to create thinpool with poolmetadatasize 5m

[root at rahul ~]# cat temp
pvcreate /dev/vdb
pvcreate /dev/vdc
pvcreate /dev/vdd
pvcreate /dev/vde

vgcreate snap_vg0 /dev/vdb /dev/vdc /dev/vdd /dev/vde
lvcreate -L 90G --poolmetadatasize 5m -T /dev/snap_vg0/snap_thin_pool0
#lvcreate -L 90G -T /dev/snap_vg0/snap_thin_pool0
lvcreate -V90G -T /dev/snap_vg0/snap_thin_pool0 -n snap_thin_vol0
[root at rahul ~]#
[root at rahul ~]#

#Creation Success

[root at rahul ~]# ./temp
  Physical volume "/dev/vdb" successfully created
  Physical volume "/dev/vdc" successfully created
  Physical volume "/dev/vdd" successfully created
  Physical volume "/dev/vde" successfully created
  Volume group "snap_vg0" successfully created
  Rounding up size to full physical extent 8.00 MiB
  Logical volume "lvol0" created
  Logical volume "snap_thin_pool0" created
  Logical volume "snap_thin_vol0" created
[root at rahul ~]#

Please find the attachment with detailed outputs of different lv commands

Thanks,
Rahul