Re: [linux-lvm] Cancelling snapshot merge

Dne 10.2.2014 14:14, Alexander Meshcheryakov napsal(a):
Hello,

I had created snapshot of my /var logical volume a while ago and recently It
occured to me that I don't need saved state anymore and I would like to
reclaim disk space. But I have issued wrong lvconvert --merge command by
mistake instead of proper lvremove.

$ sudo lvconvert --merge VolGroup00/var_snap0
   Can't merge over open origin volume
   Merging of snapshot var_snap0 will start next activation.

I have figured out at this point that I made mistake. Luckily merge is
postponed as volume is used (mounted) now. But how do I prevent merge from
running upon next reboot? Here is what I have tried:

$ sudo lvremove VolGroup00/var_snap0
   Can't remove merging snapshot logical volume "var_snap0"

$ sudo lvchange -an VolGroup00/var_snap0
Change of snapshot var_snap0 will also change its origin LogVol01. Proceed?
[y/n]: n
   Logical volume var_snap0 not changed.

I even could not create snapshot of current state to roll back to it after merge

$ sudo lvcreate --size 2G --snapshot -n var_snap1 /dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol01

   Snapshots of an origin that has a merging snapshot is not supported

Is there a way to cancel postponed snapshot merge?

vgcfgrestore  - you could go via archive to the previous state of metadata.

There is no support for merge aborting - since it might have other 'side' effects on metadata.

If you know what you are doing - vgcfgrestore is your rescue tool.

Zdenek