[linux-lvm] Doc or definition of max_archives setting for lvm.conf?

There is an example syntax reference to a variable named "max_archives" in the man page for lvm.conf, but it does not provide a definition for the variable. The actual lvm.conf on my distribution contains no references or comments to enlighten me on the specifics for max_archives. While the variable name certainly gives me the clue that it is likely that not more than that many archive files would exist in the archive directory, can someone provide a more detailed description?

Since I can make no assumptions on this system, is it the case that if the max_archives specified in lvm.conf is reached that the oldest archive is automatically deleted as the newest one is created?

I have a lot of snapshot activity on the system where I want to implement max_archives, and the number of archives keeps growing. Naturally, I have not yet reached the retain_days number of days, but would like to keep the number of archives below a reasonable number before retain_days might be reached.
--
Gary Eheman
Fundamental Software, Inc.