[linux-lvm] [SOLVED] unwanted autocreation of /dev/mapper/ entries while using parted on lvm devices

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Mon Feb 24 12:40:06 UTC 2014

Hi Peter!

Am 24.02.2014 09:41, schrieb Peter Rajnoha:
> On 02/23/2014 11:36 PM, Oliver Rath wrote:
> The parted itself creates a new device-mapper mapping that represents
> the partition. Then it's like any other device-mapper device and so
> the /dev content is created by 10-dm-disk.rules (the /dev/mapper
> content) and 13-dm-disk.rules (the /dev/disk content). Parted has this
> functionality integrated so there's no need to call kpartx in addition.

On my machine parted-2.3 was running. Upgrading to parted-3.1 didnt
help, BUT building parted-3.1 for myself with ./configure
--disable-device-mapper works! Then parted does his job without creating
these deices implicitly.

Maybe you know a less radical method? I.e. I could exclude some names in
lvm.conf or something like this? The names of the lvm whould should
create subvolumes are well defined.

Regards,
Oliver