[linux-lvm] libdevmapper's handling of devices with spaces in the name

Alasdair G Kergon agk at redhat.com
Wed Feb 26 23:26:48 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 05:17:13PM -0500, Phillip Susi wrote:
> I'm also still wondering why udev can't simply handle quoted names
> with spaces in them.  People have been dealing with this sort of thing
> in shell for years...

Once you've had exposure to udev you soon learn that "wondering why" gets
you nowhere:)  However bizarre, your only option is to conform.
Name mangling in lvm2/device-mapper was designed both to conform and
to still allow for all possibilities in as transparent a way as we could.

The primary new limitation is a reduction in the effective maximum length
of a device name due to the quoting.  If this becomes a problem we will have
to extend the kernal API to support longer names.

Alasdair