[linux-lvm] Ignoring locks with the lvm2app API

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Tue Jan 28 09:20:27 UTC 2014

Hi,

I find myself in the situation where I want to scan the current LVM2
setup (what volumegroups exist, their logical volumes, etc) without
risking to lock.

That brings me to some questions:

 - What's the worst thing that can happen when ignoring locks while
   listing logical volumes, reading their properties with the lvm2app
   library?  Can I do this in a system daemon?  A crash of my process
   would be OK, as would be getting temprarily inconsistent information.
   Permanent damage to the system configuration would not be OK,
   obviously.

 - How would I actually best go about ignoring locks?  I found some
   comments in lvm2app about "better support for locking control", so I
   guess it is not really supported right now.  I could have a go at
   improving this.  Would that be worthwhile?  Any advice?