[linux-lvm] File-system uuid on LVM snapshot

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Thu Jun 5 10:31:23 UTC 2014

Dne 5.6.2014 11:29, Rajesh Joseph napsal(a):
> Thanks Zdenek for the quick reply.
>
> We are using thin volumes and thin snapshot, but we need all or most snapshots active. Therefore we are enabling the snapshot by-default.
> As you suggested we can have a workaround to mount those snapshot volumes by using 'nouuid' option.
> But the problem is in most of our use case the origin volume is mounted using the /etc/fstab. And here the mount entry is made using UUID.
> So in some cases instead of Origin volume the snapshot volume get mounted.

So this rather looks like you are not using  'snapshot' as snapshot but rather
as a quick COW device clone - where you obviously need to change identifiers,
since they are used later independently. (something like we do with
'vgimportclone' where we duplicate VG)

Maybe it might be worth to think about fsadm extension to support filesystem
cloning as a built-in feature which would handle change if fs UUID across
different filesystems...

Regards

Zdenek