[linux-lvm] lvm Bug? - bad reaction to snapshot creation

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 09:50:00 UTC 2014

Dne 7.6.2014 01:26, Leeman Strout napsal(a):

> Creating a snapshot throws an error "Attempted to decrement suspended device
> counter below zero." but succeeds.  Removing the snapshot fails, attempting a
> 2nd time succeeds.  Somewhere in this process the original LV gets locked and
> the system needs to be restarted to unlock it.  As explained below this
> happens intermittently but regularly.
>

> Any additional info please let me know directly, I am not a subscriber,

Hi

Unsure if this relates to all your problem (since I'm not sure how arch linux
is in sync with udev rules & systemd version)

At certain moment  systemd added a new 'feature' about locking devices while
updating internal udev state - this locking ignores any udev rule flags and
opens internal lvm2 devices - so while for now it's been again disabled for
'dm' devices - you might have installed version of system which has the 'lock
everything' feature in?

Thought this doesn't explain your 'counter below zero' error - this looks like
some incorrect udev rules are running in the field ?
(Or maybe multiple  systemd-udevd are running ?)

Zdenek