[linux-lvm] Read LVM structure of a virtual machine disk image

Matteo Lanati matteo.lanati at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 08:36:59 UTC 2014

Hi all,

I have a file containing a disk image of a virtual machine. One of the partitions is LVM.
I would like to read the information in there (i.e. the volume group name or the list of logical volumes) from the file itself without exposing the device through kpartx and/or qemu-nbd.
My problem is that on the same physical host I could have multiple copies of the same virtual machine running, using same VGs and LVs. Even the UUID would be the same, hence the impossibility to distinguish the two virtual machines anymore.
Of course, if I could check beforehand the structure of the disk image I could take a different decision and avoid errors.
Thanks,

Matteo

A refund for defective software might be nice, except it would bankrupt the entire software industry in the first year.

Andrew S. Tanenbaum, Computer Networks, 2003, Introduction, page 14

Linux registered user #463400