[linux-lvm] LVM VG is not activated during system boot

Peter Rajnoha prajnoha at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 14:33:34 UTC 2014

On 11/25/2014 03:19 PM, MegaBrutal wrote:
> <mailto:prajnoha at redhat.com>>:
>
>     What's the exact lvm2 version used (lvm --version)?
>

> root at vmhost:~# lvm version
>   LVM version:     2.02.98(2) (2012-10-15)
>   Library version: 1.02.77 (2012-10-15)
>   Driver version:  4.27.0
>

>     Is lvmetad enabled in your setup? (global/use_lvmetad=1 setting
>     in lvm.conf and lvmetad daemon running?)
>

>     use_lvmetad = 0
>
> No such daemon is running.

This means that LV autoactivation is not enabled in that case too
(as it depends on lvmetad to be active) and there must a direct
call for the activation (vgchange/lvchange -ay/-aay)

However, most distributions do not use lvmetad in initrd anyway
(the only I know of at the moment is Arch Linux). As such, I think
this is a problem with distribution's initrd that is not waiting
properly for all PVs to show up and it calls LV activation prematurely.
I'd report your issue to your distribution's initrd component as each
distribution uses its own initrd scheme (I could help you with Fedora's
dracut initrd, but I don't see into Debian's/Ubuntu initrd scheme).

>     Does it activate when you run vgchange -aay vmdata-vg vmhost-vg
>     directly on the busybox cmd line?
>

> The exact command I used to use in the BusyBox prompt is
> lvm vgchange -ay vmhost-vg
>
> Or, if I remember correctly, it activates simply by
> lvm vgchange -ay
> as well.
>
> Then I exit the BusyBox prompt, and the boot process continues correctly.
>
> My root FS is in vmhost-vg, and I have no idea why it doesn't come up
> automatically.

Yeah, it all points to premature vgchange call in initrd's script.
Please, report this in your distribution's bug tracking system if
possible.

--
Peter