[Lohit-devel-list] Releasing Lohit Devanagari Today!!

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Feb 12 09:55:04 UTC 2010

Le Jeu 11 février 2010 21:16, Bernard Massot a écrit :

> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 09:55:46AM +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
>> The main problem is that locl-like technologies require apps to know
>> the language of the text they are rendering. And all too often they do
>> not provide any mean for the user to set it.
> I think the two main types of applications that can mix languages within
> a document are word processors (and other office programs) and web
> browsers.
> Word processors like OpenOffice Writer already have a mean to specify
> language because it's needed for spell checking, hyphenation, etc.
> Web browsers render HTML, which has a "lang" attribute usable with any
> tag.
> Applications that don't mix languages can just rely on locale to know
> what language to use.
> Can you think of really more complicated cases?

I personnaly want i18n to be pervasive and not limited to a few apps (that's
one reason I added « to my xkb map instead of relying on the OO.o "
substitution feature). That means the language selector needs to be
generalized at desktop level instead of relying on app-specific workarounds,
so it works in gedit/vim/gnome-terminal/emphathy/whatever and not just in huge
office suites. I wish the desktop people spent less time aping Windows or OSX
3D effects and more time building the infra *nix has been traditionnaly
lacking.

--
Nicolas Mailhot