[Lohit-devel-list] Releasing Lohit Devanagari Today!!

Rahul Bhalerao b.rahul.pm at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 21:46:07 UTC 2010

2010/1/29 प्रविण सातपुते <pravin.d.s at gmail.com>

> Hi All,
>
>      I am going to release lohit-Devanagari today,
>      presently we have Marathi, Hindi, Nepali, Maitreya, kashmiri (Dev),
> Sindhi (Dev) Devanagari script base fonts, and all are same, there was plan
> to add/modify respective font as per each language requirement but having a
> super set is no problem and we are following that presently
>     But somehow while discussing more on it, i found it we can use only
> Devanagari font for all without affecting any language other requirement,
> and also it will be better for development and maintenance as well.
>     In future if we found that two language with same script, requires
> different representation of same characters either we can use <LANG> tag of
> Open Type or We can split font that time as per requirement
>     so to the best of my knowledge there is no problem in using same
> Devanagari script covering all Unicode characters for all languages using
> Devanagari script.
>     comment/suggestions are welcome

Before doing that, would you please check if <LANG> tag can be successfully
used to distinguish between Marathi and Hindi 'La (ल)', Marathi and Hindi
digit '8' on Gnome/KDE. Similarly there would be variations for some Nepali
and Kashmiri characters. If possible this would also help solving problems
related to traditional and typewriter script of Malayalam.

--
Rahul.
       - http://rahulpmb.blogspot.com