[Lohit-devel-list] Lohit Tamil with Embolden transformation

pravin.d.s at gmail.com pravin.d.s at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 07:41:22 UTC 2011

On 2 December 2011 10:43, Santhosh Thottingal <sthottingal at wikimedia.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 10:00 AM, pravin.d.s at gmail.com
> <pravin.d.s at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, looks like my testing was also happened with cached font.
> > Tested with konqueror now outline looks proper.
>
> ok. I tried with emboldening with some other ratios too, but 25em gave
> me smooth outline compared to other values.
>
> Srikanth, Bala, Do you see any issues? If this is better(may not be
> the best), I can ask Pravin to consider merging it to upstream.

Existing upstream works fine on Desktop and it's design by typographer so i
still prefer it for Desktop.
I think we can add this to upstream saying "Lohit Tamil WOFT", and make
sure fixes GSUB/GPOS get applied to both.

> We have added a versioning system to extension to avoid people seeing
> content with cached version even if there is a new version in server.
>
> > Looks like Embolden affected the width of characters, i can see less size
> > space 0x0020. do check that
>
> I see that in original and new version, width is 307 units. Am I
> missing something?
>

> Pravin, Do you have any suggestions on improving it more?

Nothing for now, if Tamil speaker are happy with it, lets go with it.

We should think for hinting Indian fonts in long term, at 8 point size,
shape not looks very good even at Desktop. In other case Latin script
characters look crystal clear due to hinting.

Autohiting doing good job at desktop level, but still hiting instructions
specifically for particular fonts,style and script can surely make it
better.

Best Regards,
Pravin Satpute