[Lohit-devel-list] Lohit Devanagari not displaying ञ्जि properly

Bernard Massot bmassot at free.fr
Wed Jul 20 19:46:02 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 08:37:01PM +0200, Bernard Massot wrote:
> And in the metrics window I can obtain the substitution of u093F with
> glyph206 by enabling a feature whose name is... empty!
I think I understood that one. In the .sfd file, lookup "Single
Substitution in Devanagari lookup 80" is associated with script/language
couples but these couples don't come with a feature.
In TrueType format you can't associate a script/language couple directly
with a lookup. You have to associate it with features. So what FF does
to build a legal .ttf file with this awkward lookup definition is
creating a feature with an empty name (actually name is "    " - 4
spaces - since TT feature names have to be exactly 4 characters long).
I'm not sure whether this behavior should be considered a bug or a
feature.

I believe this lookup should be rebuilt without any associated
script/language couple in the .sfd file, just as other Lohit Devanagari
Single Substitution lookups.
--
Bernard Massot