[Lohit-devel-list] Glyph of 0BF7 Tamil Credit Sign ௷

Srikanth Lakshmanan srik.lak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 09:23:53 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 14:15, pravin.d.s at gmail.com <pravin.d.s at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 19 February 2012 18:35, Shriramana Sharma <samjnaa at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello. The Lohit fonts show for 0BF7 Tamil Credit Sign ௷ a glyph which is
>> a ligature of எ and ௳. However the Tamil Unicode chart (
>> http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0B80.pdf) gives the glyph for the
>> character as a ligature of எ and வ.
>>
>> I am not making this a request to change the glyph in the Lohit font,
>> because I believe the Lohit font is actually more correct than the Unicode
>> chart in this case, as the glyph-fragment ௳ is seen in many symbols in
>> Tamil (yet to be encoded and which I am researching). The Unicode chart
>> glyph may well have to be changed according to my research.
>>
>> I request Pravin or others to search for the origin of this glyph and
>> kindly provide me the sources by which they have given this shape for this
>> character in this font.
>>

> I don't have any references for this, this has been done long time before
> i took over this project.
> Hi Srikanth,
>  do you have any idea about this?

Hi Pravin,

I do not have any idea on 0BF7. Tamil numerals are out of common use,rare
to spot, though one could spot them occasionally, even printed today on
some texts. Tamil symbols are even rarer to spot in real life. This is
probably a linguist / historian's subject expertise.

The glyph fragment mentioned above was popularized recently in a movie
title[1] citing it refers 1/4 in Tamil but was still written as வ. As i see
the unicode chart, I dont see any glyph for 1/4th or for that matter any
fractions[2]. But again usage of these in written form(using symbols) today
is practically nil, again making them linguist / historian's subject matter.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Va_(film)
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_numerals#Common_Fractions (பொது
பின்னங்கள்)<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamil_numerals#Common_Fractions_.28.E0.AE.AA.E0.AF.8A.E0.AE.A4.E0.AF.81_.E0.AE.AA.E0.AE.BF.E0.AE.A9.E0.AF.8D.E0.AE.A9.E0.AE.99.E0.AF.8D.E0.AE.95.E0.AE.B3.E0.AF.8D.29>

--
Regards
Srikanth.L