[Lohit-devel-list] Lohit2: Automated testing support to avoid regressions in Lohit

Pravin Satpute psatpute at redhat.com
Wed Jan 22 13:10:32 UTC 2014

Hi All,

    Life was easy from testing perspective till we were working on
Devanagari and Gujarati scripts due to bit familiar shapes :)
    It became bit tricky from the time we started working on Malayalam
script ;) Still thanks to Unicode and Reference document from TDIL and
continuous help from Ani.

    We started facing need for automated testing. I remember we
discussed during the Open source language summit 2013 regarding
automated testing and Santhosh pointed me to GSoc project for automated
rendering test cases.

    I liked the idea of this project i.e. keeping expected hb-shape
output in standard file and then after each modification comparing
output with standard file.

    We are doing same in Lohit with small python code done. [1]

    Regressions are not new for Indian scripts :) I am sure with
automated test module will help Lohit fonts in future from introducing
unexpected regressions.

Cheers,
Pravin Satpute

1. https://raw.github.com/pravins/lohit/master/scripts/auto_test.py