Re: [lvm-devel] iSCSI logout hangs LVM

Dave Wysochanski wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 22:23 -0700, Ty! Boyack wrote:
This is all being done on a Fedora 9 boxes with updated packages:

I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestion on this!

You need to make sure iscsi and multipath are setup properly to
eventually fail the IO.  I believe the README and/or config files in
these projects describe the settings needed.

Or remove the multipath maps for these devices *before* logging out of the target. This is a common mistake with multipath - when you're removing storage, the ordering should normally be:

- unmount file systems / stop applications using the device
- flush multipath map(s) (-f/-F)
- remove underlying path devices (iSCSI logout etc)

If this isn't possible, there's a feature in the RHEL builds of multipath-tools named "flush_on_last_del" which may help you here. It will disable queueing for the multipath target when the last path to it disappears, preventing I/O from hanging forever on the missing devices.