[lvm-devel] LVM2 tools/lvmcmdlib.c lib/mm/memlock.h lib/mm ...

Marian Csontos mcsontos at redhat.com
Thu Nov 19 13:03:01 UTC 2009

On 11/19/2009 12:59 PM, Petr Rockai wrote:
> Marian Csontos<mcsontos at redhat.com>  writes:
>
>> Why not to zero _memlock_count here (and _memlock_count_daemon below)?
>> IMO, simple log_error is not enough. Though I understand this should not happen
>> under any conditions, the Murphy's Law says it will happen. And when it
>> happens...
>>
>> ...dropping below zero, will result in subsequent memlock_inc/memloc_inc_daemon
>> having no effect. (Q: How serious is this condition? Could it result in data
>> corruption?)
>>
> When the value is out of sync once, there's no really good way to
> recover. Too high will prevent scans, too low will cause deadlocks, the
> result always being non-functional code.

If it is non functional scans and not data corruption as I had thought,
then it is safer to leave as is.
>> On the other hand, if it were zeroed, the possible deadlock could be
>> the only result.  However, this could happen only when memory is
>> unlocked before it is locked.
>>
> See above.
>

>>> +/*
>>> + * The memlock_*_daemon functions will force the mlockall() call that we need
>>> + * to stay in memory, but they will have no effect on device scans (unlike
>>> + * normal memlock_inc and memlock_dec). Memory is kept locked as long as either
>>> + * of memlock or memlock_daemon is in effect.
>>> + */
>>>

>> Q: It does not work as proposed now. Does the "will" mean it will once
>> implemented?
>>
> Why not? As far as I can tell, this works as advertised, and testing
> confirms that.

Oh, I see. It must be the memlock function, what affects device scans.
I apologize.

I noticed some failures while looking at nevrast/waterfall, and in my
zeal reviewed changes what might be causing troubles. Of course the
changes were reviewed and tested carefully before, thus it is just my
reasoning what's wrong here and the mistake is elsewhere.

Cheers,

-- Marian