Re: [lvm-devel] Suppress locking initialisation failure messages when --ignorelockingfailure is used

On Mon, Feb 08 2010 at  9:36am -0500,
Peter Rajnoha <prajnoha redhat com> wrote:

> On 02/08/2010 02:46 PM, Mike Snitzer wrote:
> >
> > Dracut is rw but we (dracut's lvm hooks) impose read-only locking
> > through dracut's lvm.conf.  This was done so no metadata updates could
> > occur within the initramfs environment.
>
> Yes, dracut environment is rw but the root fs itself is mounted ro first.
> The "vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure" (that is called after the pivotroot)
> is run just before the rw remount happens (..looking at Fedora/RHEL6 rc.sysinit).
>
> We didn't notice that directly before, because init_locking silently "failed"
> (but returned with OK status from init_locking fn, since --ignorelockingfailure is set).

Shouldn't rc.sysinit's "vgchange -a y --ignorelockingfailure" come
_after_ root's rw remount?

Dracut has already taken care of activating any LVs needed for the root
FS.  What advantage is there in trying to activate other (non-root) LVs
before root is rw?

Mike