[lvm-devel] lvm and locales memory issue

Zdenek Kabelac zkabelac at redhat.com
Tue Feb 23 09:14:55 UTC 2010

On 23.2.2010 10:15, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:52:19AM +0100, Zdenek Kabelac wrote:
>> Ok - and now I'm getting confused and lost here.
>>
>> >From our chat I've got impression that using 'localedef' is perfectly valid
>> way how to create usable content for /usr/lib/locale.
>
> True, but very costly one.
>
> time for i in `cat /tmp/SUPPORTED`; do j=`echo $i | sed 's,/.*$,,'`; k=`echo $i | sed 's,^.*/,,'`; l=`echo $j | sed 's/\..*$//'`; localedef -A /usr/share/locale/locale.alias --no-archive -f $k -i $l -c /tmp/nyy/$j; done
>
> real	6m12.985s
> user	5m34.818s
> sys	0m33.134s
>
> Do you seriously suggest that we spend 6 minutes on very fast machines
> during glibc-common upgrades?  You must be joking.

Well update of my rawhide usually more then 3/4 hour - so 6 minutes running in
background - that's really nothing.

And quite frankly - during the update you need to update/recompile only
changed files - you could copy compiled & unchanged data to new file - thus in
fact it would takes couple seconds - unless each glibc update changes all i18n
locale definition, I doubt that - isn't that what the locale-archive.tmpl is
already doing?

(And as a bonus you save package size as you don't need to store tmpl inside)

Zdenek