Re: [lvm-devel] lv-shared

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010, Mike Snitzer wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 15 2010 at  3:00pm -0400,
> Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka redhat com> wrote:
>
> > Hi
> >
> > Why did you hide the "lv-shared" volume? With this hidden, the size and
> > percentage can't be seen.
>
> You can still see it with: lvs -a
>
> I'll have to revisit why I made it hidden (aside from the fact that the
> associated DM device is also hidden).  There was some subtle reason that
> had to do with the refactoring of associations when I eliminated the
> distinct ->shared_snapshot pointer (otherwise the vg_validate() method
> would fail).

I know it can be seen with lvs -a, but I think it's inconvenient for the
admin:
- the admin won't see that there is a shared store taking up space
- the admin won't see that the origin is a shared snapshot, he sees 'o',
but nothing that refers to that 'o'
- the percentage usage of the shared snapshot is hidden

I think this information is important and should be displayed with plain
"lvs" command without any flags. (for example, the percentage usage is
critical, because it can overflow) --- so "lv-shared" shouldn't be hidden.

Mikulas