Re: [lvm-devel] lvm2-api usage in GlusterFS

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 21:57:49 +0100, Alasdair G Kergon <agk redhat com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 04, 2012 at 11:02:11PM +0530, M.Mohan Kumar wrote:
> > Also other issues with the patch is resizing and creating a snapshot
> > of LV. There is no API to resize a LV and as of now I am using the
>
> int lvm_lv_resize(const lv_t lv, uint64_t new_size);
>
> "NOTE: This function is currently not implemented."
>
> > Is there any plan to add support to resize a LV and create snapshot of
> > LV?
>
> Well we're about to start a review of the state of this interface, so if
> you have any more suggestions, please send them too.

It will be great if lvm library supports following interfaces

1) lvresize

2) lv snapshot creation

3) lvrename

4) Possible to set some properties per LV, something like gluster may
set a attribute (for ex: attribute:owner, value:gluster) in each LV
created by it so that gluster (or who ever created an LV) can filter
LVs that are not created by gluster (I am just listing one of the use cases)

5) Ability to do the full copy of LVs, for example: lv_copy (lv_t dest,
lv_t source). If its possible to implement in the kernel itself, we can
avoid user space copying incurred in read/write.

6) Ability to provide list of logical blocks and the physical disk for a
given LV so that these blocks can be given to libStorageManagement tool
to offload storage operations (such as full cloning a LV)

7) Ability to create other targets for example lv library giving
interface to create a dm-thinpool, dm-thintarget etc.

Regards,
M. Mohan Kumar