[lvm-devel] cache support

Oliver Rath rath at mglug.de
Wed Feb 5 07:35:56 UTC 2014

Hi Paul,

you can create a cache-device with dm-cache, i.e. /dev/mapper/cache0,
which consists your underlying disks cached by your ssd. The critical
point is imho, that you have to create the cache device first, then the
PV on the *cache device* cache0, then to create the VG consisting on
cache0, getting the right name for this. As result you get the disk ids
twice, so you have to filter the ids by lvm.conf.

@list: Is there a solution for this "doubling" case?

Alternativly you can use bcache, which needs a "superblock" on both
devices, so that you arent offended by doubling ID. Or you can try
enhanceIO (not in standard kernel yet), which caches your device
transparently without using the dm-mechanism and creating a virtual new
device.

Hth
Oliver