[Mod_nss-list] OCSP errors

Kim, Ernest ekim at mitre.org
Thu Aug 20 14:07:16 UTC 2009

Hi Rob, thanks for your reply.

>The server is validating its own server certificate at startup and that
>request is failing so the server is refusing to start.

I don't understand why this is. With OCSP turned off, I can start my server
using the same RapidSSL certificate for https without having to use the .
Furthermore when I do a certutil -V on my RapidSSL certificate, it responds
saying that the certificate is valid. Here are the results of my certutil -L
-d...

Server-Cert                                                  u,u,u
Equifax-CA                                                   CT,C,C
alpha                                                        u,pu,u
RapidSSL-CA                                                  CT,C,C
RapidSSL                                                     u,u,u
cacert                                                       CTu,Cu,Cu
ocsp-responder                                               CT,C,C

certutil -V -n RapidSSL -u V comes up with this:

certutil -V -n RapidSSL -u V -d /etc/httpd/alias/
certutil: certificate is valid

>You need to trust the certificate that is signing the OCSP response. I
>didn't see that after a quick look on the RapidSSL site, maybe their
>support can point you to it.

I do trust the certificate, It's the certificate with the nickname
ocsp-responder.  It's issued by the DoD.

I appreciate any help you can give me on this. Thanks.

-Ernie