X hangs with the NVIDIA driver in nahant beta 1 and kernel compilation issue,

Hello,

I am trying to install the latest NVIDIA driver for a Quadro FX4000. The installation works fine but when I startx the screen stays black and X hangs. The Xorg.0.log shows the following error

EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0):  *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"

Did anybody succeed in installing the NVIDIA driver in nahant-beta-1?

I am wondering if this is the same issues as reported in the NvForum for Fedora Core 2

If you are trying to install the latest Nvidia linux drivers on Fedora Core 2 and either get the freeze problem or the "no screen" problem try this:

If you have already installed the drivers and are having the problems described above do this:
1. Install the 8kstacks kernel found here http://www.linuxant.com/driverloade...kernel-i686.php
2. Unistall the nvidia drivers using the nvidia-installer --unistall command
3. Reinstall the drivers again while using the 8kstacks kernel and boot to this kernel from now on.

If you havn't installed the nvidia linux drivers yet:
1. Download the drivers but DO NOT RUN THEM.
2. Get the 8k stacks kernel here http://www.linuxant.com/driverloade...kernel-i686.php and install that.
3. Boot into the 8k stacks kernel and now install the drivers.

Since nahant is not using the same kernel as stated above I tried compiling the 2.6.8-1.528.2.10smp kernel myself but I had some problems there as well.

First I could not find the kernel-source*.rpm on the CD(s) I located some files of the kernel sources in /lib/modules/2.6.8-1.528.2.10smp/build but lots of files are missing and nothing compiles. Any ideas on how to compile our own kernel with nahant?

Thanks.

Jean