Re: Fastrack channels?

On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 14:35 +0200, Dirk Gfroerer wrote:
> Obviously I missed the announcement for the Fastrack channels in RHN.
>
> They seem to contain different bug fix Erratas. So are these channels to
> which I want to subscribe my production machines?

We need to clean up the communication around these channels, but
basically they are previews of content which will be available in the
next update.  So these are packages which have been through complete QA,
are fully tested and we're making available to customers via RHN child
channels.  If customers wish to consume these packages they may,
otherwise they can wait until the follow-on update and consume them at
that time.

Not all packages will go out in this fashion (we won't push the kernel
and toolchain, for example because of the destabilizing nature of such a
push) and any changes which are significant enough to warrant going
through the beta period in order to flesh out will not be released via
Fastrack.

A couple of other notes.  Pending there are packages available to push
each week, we will push packages on Wednesdays so that folks can come to
expect new packages on that day.  At most we will push 10 packages on a
given day (5 for RHEL3 and 5 for RHEL4.)  We will sync RHEL3 and RHEL4
pushes so that if a particular package goes out for RHEL3 and RHEL4 is
impacted as well, we will push both in parallel.  Finally these packages
are fully supported by Red Hat.  In the event of a security exploit, we
will release fixes for both the base channel (what most people are
subscribed to) as well as the Fastrack child channel.

All packages pushed into the child channel will become part of the
follow-on release unless circumstances prevent (serious issues found
with the package.)

Hope this helps explain things.

- jkt

--
Jay Turner, QE Manager           jkt redhat com               Red Hat, Inc.

          If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z,
     X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein