Re: Swap partition - what is the best way of doing it?

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 09:32 +0000, Andrew Hodgson wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I know this is a can of worms.  All the machines I worked on up until
> now had 1/2GB, and so I just created a standard 2GB partition.

> The system I am now working on has 8GB.  The Vendor says you should
> make a partition which is twice that of the size of the amount of RAM,
> which would be 16GB swap.

FWIW, I have 1GB of swap on a laptop with 2GB of RAM, but don't use the
database apps as mentioned.

However, I wonder - for those systems which really need GB of swap,
isn't it like configuring some huge file? Wouldn't performance be
improved if swap were separated say into 1GB (or even 512MB) chunks on
different hard drives? Or is the performance difference trivial?

Thanks,
Mike