Re: SSH connection timeout?

> What the parent process is doesn't matter though as long as sshd is in
> the cmdline for whatever it is.

Agreed. The script assumes there probably aren't going to be many things that spawn a shell that include "sshd" in the cmdline.

> sshd in there it sets TMOUT. So why wouldn't it set TMOUT if I just
> ran that telnet command?

Are you worried about it setting TMOUT on the machine you're on or the one you're connecting to? Remember, the command you run has to start a shell as a child process for this to take effect, and even then, it would only affect the child. Running "ls sshd" is not going to have any effect on your current shell.

It seems you're using a Kerberized telnet configuration, so I can't test that exactly, but with my own simple telnet test, the parent process for my shell after telnet'ing was "login --username". Your telnet client does not spawn the shell, so the cmdline for telnet client is irrelevant. Unless your username contains "sshd", "sshd" shouldn't appear in the remote shell's parent process cmdline when telnet'ing. Same goes for rsh.

Now if you ran "xterm -lf sshd", that would incorrectly set TMOUT.
--
/* wes hardin */