Re: PC Speaker Module

Lawrence Houston wrote:
Not clear why in the Upgrade from RHEL3 to RHEL4 the PC Speaker is no longer "Active"??? From John Lindal's Blog his solution is adding "pcspkr" to the "other" parameter within rc.sysinit:

   http://jafl.my.speedingbits.com/blog/2005/12/

What might be Red Hat's intended method for enabling the Kernel's PC Speaker Module and why is it NOT enabled by Default???
I wouldn't be changing rc.sysinit - likely to get overwritten on next initscript rpm update. Just do this:
echo '/sbin/modprobe pcspkr' >> /etc/rc.modules

As far as why would RH change it - I think it just came off like that with this particular kernel. In fact FC6 has it on by default.
Josko P.