[olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Tue Apr 11 14:34:39 UTC 2006

We'll be somewhat higher resolution than the (typical) conventional
television set, which is pretty dismal.

Our resolution is roughly the theoretical maximum for conventional TV;
but most content for the boob tube is build presuming about half that
resolution, since so many TV sets are so bad.
                              - Jim

On Mon, 2006-04-10 at 06:10 -0700, Alan Kay wrote:
> There is a 7 minute video demo that Andy did in ca. 1990. Andy is
> currently at Google and you can write him for permission to stream the
> video. It's fun (and is done on a standard TV screen -- which
> approximates the color pixels currently contemplated for the HDLT).
>
> I'm not advocating this specific approach for HDLT, but just offer it
> as an example of a fun UI for children done by a very creative guy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>
> At 08:57 AM 4/6/2006, Duncan Mak wrote:
> > On 3/31/06, Alan Kay <alan.kay at squeakland.org> wrote:
> >
> >         Check out my (quite) earlier chapter in The Art of
> >         Human-Computer Interface
> >         Design (Ed. B. Laurel) from 1990, on just that topic, and
> >         you will see that
> >         I agree also. So why do I like what Andy did? Especially for
> >         Frog?
> >

> > I tried to find more information on this work that Andy did for
> > Frog. The only thing I learned from Googling is that it was called
> > "Frox" and was a precursor to something similar to the modern day
> > TiVo. It was done in collaboration with Hartmut Esslinger, the
> > principal behind Frog Design, and that's about all that I can find.
> >
> > Do you have more information on this design, and in particular, how
> > it differs from the Magic Cap?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Duncan.
> --