[olpc-software] Clarification please

Glen Gray glen at lincor.com
Thu Jun 1 08:19:49 UTC 2006

Basically, I've been wondering why the OS seems to be based on a top
down approach (starting with Fedora Core 5 and stripping out a rough
guesstimate of whats not required) rather than a bottom up approach
(starting with nothing and using what parts of FC5 are required to
create a small, tailored OS).

 From what I recall, RedHat already has the tools to make this possible.
Embedded Developers Kit. I know the project isn't being pushed by RedHat
at the moment, but at the time it was, I was working for a company
called Antefacto. We were given a demo of the product. From what I
recall it gave a tk based UI into either the .spec files and/or the
files that rpm felt it needed to include in the binary rpm. The UI
allowed you to tailor what files where eventually installed.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/edk/EDK-1.0-Manual/getting-started-guide/index_gs.html

Using this approach would have allowed for a resulting system that had
rpm intact for use as the package manager and a more tightly tailored OS.

Kind regards,

--
Glen Gray <glen at lincor.com>              Digital Depot, Thomas Street
Senior Software Engineer                            Dublin 8, Ireland