[olpc-software] [Fwd: Re: [avahi] scalability of avahi (or mdns-sd in genera

Krishna Sankar ksankar at gte.net
Tue Jun 20 05:02:39 UTC 2006

> > D) Unless we are leveraging the bus for other functionalities, avahi
> > *might* be slightly heavyweight; we might have to implement
> ZeroConf on the bare metal
>
> Not sure why this is.

<KS>
	Couple of points : One of my concern was the DBUS (may be not a valid concern, especially if we are leveraging the DBUS in OLPC). Second, because of the various constraints, the ZeroConf might have to be aware of the underlying mesh substrate. For example your thought of 'use mDNS for 2 hops' is a good optimization, but what if one really needs to publish to a network that has higher diameter ? May be ZeroConf does a re-publish. I am postulating. As Jim pointed out in one of the e-mails, the NS2 simulations would not help us here; we really need to "experience" the mesh substrate through the apps that ride the Zeroconf. May be a collaborative piano app would need > 2 hops. One thing is certain - we need a few good knobs and counters, so that we can tune the substrates to fit the layer 7 apps, naturally under the covers.
</KS>
Cheers