[olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

Hello,

we AbiWord developers are pretty excited to be considered for
inclusion on the OLPC. Currently however our user interface doesn't
work very well on small screen resolutions.
What I'm wondering is if/how the gnome HIG applies to the OLPC. Off
the top of my head i'd see quite some difference regarding the target
audience.

At [1] you will find mockups of a more screen real estate conscious
AbiWord user interface. It's heavily inspired by [2] but does away
with the traditional menu/toolbar split. Every toplevel menuitem has a
default action assigned as a toolbar button. Further toolbuttons are
in a separate toolbar which is wrapped into an own line.
My personal favourites are (2) and (3); please disregard (5), this is
a browser mockup.

What do you think about that approach?

[1] http://www.abisource.com/~rob/tmp/mockups.png
[2] http://tango-project.org/Window_Experiments