[olpc-software] No package manager?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Mon Mar 13 20:50:05 UTC 2006

Shall we say that Chris Blizzard and I have a difference of opinion on
this topic?

We have agreed that rather than continuing arguing we'd go off and try
to talk to people who are actually deploying systems into schools to see
what their experience is.

I've argued to Chris that it will be necessary; flash is tight, and
sharing of applications that may have multiple different dependencies I
believe common.  Whether my experience on the iPAQ is directly
applicable is an interesting question: there, we even felt the need for
orphan detection and elimination.

If you have first hand experience, now is the time to contribute it.
				Regards,
					- Jim

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 03:11 +0700, James Clark wrote:
> I'm intrigued by the comments in
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OLPC/Goals
>
> to the effect that there won't be any need for a package manager.
>
> I can see that by constraining the platform you may not need a package
> manager to manage the platform itself, but won't you still need a
> package manager to allow users to install, uninstall and update the
> applications that are built on top of the platform?
>
> I guess you could avoid a package manager using the one directory per
> application approach.  Is that what you have in mind?
>
> James
>

> --
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child