Re: [olpc-software] No package manager?

Jim Gettys wrote:
We have agreed that rather than continuing arguing we'd go off and try
to talk to people who are actually deploying systems into schools to see
what their experience is.

I've argued to Chris that it will be necessary; flash is tight, and
sharing of applications that may have multiple different dependencies I
believe common.  Whether my experience on the iPAQ is directly
applicable is an interesting question: there, we even felt the need for
orphan detection and elimination.

Yeah, it's not clear to me how many we're talking about and if what they require will be part of the operating system. I think the right answer here might be "let's figure out what they are using and make sure that the operating system contains the right components."

--Chris