Re: [olpc-software] No package manager?

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
I think we're talking at crossed purposes here. When saying we don't want
to use a traditional packaging tool such as APT / RPM, it is not because
we don't care about dependancies / sharing between apps (although it could
well be less important in the context of OLPC, that is a side issue). The
primary driving force behind this idea is an overall desire to ensure that
tasks encountered in day-to-day usage are straightforward, robust & safe
to perform. Packaging tools such RPM / APT do not neccessarily provide the
ideal balance for those factors in the context of a desktop where at least
some portion of users must be expected to have zero-UNIX experiance.

I think that this is the most important paragraph in this mail, because it touches on what we're really talking about here: that the design and experience has to come first, and figuring out how we implement it comes second. It could be rpm, or dpkg, or 0install, or something we write ourselves; it doesn't matter. As long as we are able to enable a specific user experience that allows schools to publish, kids to share and makes machines bullet proof with an elegant way to unscrew busted apps that a kid has gone and played with, I'd be pretty happy.

--Chris