Re: [olpc-software] No package manager?

On 3/13/06, Alan Cox <alan redhat com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 05:48:16PM -0500, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> > >Is anyone doing school deployments that aren't thin client ? All the UK
> > >ones I know about like cutterproject.org are.
> >
> > Can you define what you mean by "thin client"?  These laptops have local
> > storage and the ability to operate off the network, and in most
> > situations thin clients means running entirely off the network.
> Thin Client as in "entirely off network". I'm still trying to find anyone
> who is using a thicker client model in schools successfully and haven't found
> anything much.

I have found that the terms thin, thick, etc clients are very
overloaded terms and many sites use them in weird ways. I am not
exactly sure what Alan means so I figured I would throw out the local
definitions if that helps:

thin-client: Minimal sized machine with no local storage. Box only
opens a local X server and uses larger external servers for all
applications/data. [ CPU <= PII, Mem <=256M ]

thick-client: Maximal sized machine with no local storage. Box NFS
mounts all data off a central server but runs all applications
locally. [ CPU >=PIII, Mem >= 1024M ]

Boxes with disk drives are normally given desktop, workstation, etc
names as they arent a client to a network system. We use both the
thin-client and thick-client models to some extent..