Re: [olpc-software] No package manager?

Actually, I think it likely Nokia is using ipkg, to split a hair, rather
than dpkg, though I haven't verified this (I haven't had time to play
with my new toy). Many/most of the embedded Linux folks using Debian as
a base have adopted ipkg.

ipkg is a .deb compatible packaging system we put together for the iPAQ.
It has a very much smaller footprint than dpkg/apt-get and friends, and
provides all the important functionality.  It enables you to install
unmodified .debs.  When we looked at dpkg years and years ago, it had
accreted all sorts of crud that forced us into our own implementation,
but inventing another package format seemed like a poor plan.  It does
full dependency analysis, and functions pretty much like a subset of
apt-get and apt-cache combined.
				Regards,
					- Jim

--