Re: [olpc-software] Scaling and localization in package management

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 07:56:58PM -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> to which our current solutions don't scale.  We might survive next year
> (only 20 languages, is the estimate) on our current methodology in open
> source, but the year after, it really gets interesting ;-).

For active languages the tools are pretty good for merging, tracking and
updating changes including group tools for co-operationg and also tools
for consistency (eg seeing every other translation that looks similar to
'reboot the computer').

RPM actually knew about installing only some language data files but that
was something we dropped as disk space rose and the trade offs in PC space
made it uninteresting.

Far bigger problems occur in the world of fonts, especially for languages like
chinese on a small storage system, and for properties like lentition which are
not really dealt with by po files.