[olpc-software] No package manager?

Christopher Blizzard blizzard at redhat.com
Wed Mar 15 01:12:44 UTC 2006

Alan Cox wrote:
> But there is a reason you want the package concept visible to users,
> a really important one. Most bandwidth is local in this mode so you want users
> to have a visible concept of giving each other programs. "I'll get the maths
> tool you get the book we need to read and we'll swap over later this evening"
> is a concept that requires users awareness of packages, even if not of
> "installation"

Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting that we hide the packages from
users, the question is how it's exposed to users.  Is the maths tool
you're talking about one package or one application backed up by three
different packages?  And where are they installed on disk?  And what
happens when you remove the maths package?  Are the dependent packages
removed as well if they aren't used?  How do you tell what an
application is instead of a library?  What happens when a kid tries to
share that maths package - is the rpm or dpkg and all of its dependent
packages reassembled, moved over to the peer machine and then installed
over there as well?

--Chris