Re: [olpc-software] No package manager?

Alan Cox wrote:
But there is a reason you want the package concept visible to users,
a really important one. Most bandwidth is local in this mode so you want users
to have a visible concept of giving each other programs. "I'll get the maths
tool you get the book we need to read and we'll swap over later this evening"
is a concept that requires users awareness of packages, even if not of
"installation"

Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting that we hide the packages from users, the question is how it's exposed to users. Is the maths tool you're talking about one package or one application backed up by three different packages? And where are they installed on disk? And what happens when you remove the maths package? Are the dependent packages removed as well if they aren't used? How do you tell what an application is instead of a library? What happens when a kid tries to share that maths package - is the rpm or dpkg and all of its dependent packages reassembled, moved over to the peer machine and then installed over there as well?

--Chris