[olpc-software] How fast does it take to write a system from a scratch?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Mar 15 01:28:27 UTC 2006

I'm not convinced this is the right question to ask (we'll have numbers
in a couple months to specifically answer your question).

What matters is how many minutes or seconds of human intervention it
takes to cause the operation to occur, not the length of time from
beginning to end of the process.

I'd like to get to the point we can even boot/install over the wireless
network (one of the attractions of LinuxBIOS).

Distributing keys is a pain; learned this from the iPAQ, were we got
installation down to a CF card that did a brain transplant removing
Wince and installing full familiar.  USB keys are last resort; they
involve human intervention and probably serialize (mass) installations.
				- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
One Laptop Per Child