Re: [olpc-software] wireless networking, in the "real" world.

I just updated the Wiki.

The Marvell 8388, IIRC.  Marvell's web site has trouble this instant, so
I've not tried to track down the spec.

Marvell has demonstrated the ability to forward packets in the mesh with
the CPU *off* entirely (e.g. S3 state).  Right now, power consumption is
around 3/4 watts (while forwarding packets in this mode), the guess is
production software will be closer to .5 watt. This is something we
weren't even sure we'd be able to do in the second gen. machine using
Athleros, and it looks like we get it in the first gen machine.

This low power consumption will make it much more likely people will
keep their machines forwarding in the mesh than the previous plan.

To use the Athleros, we'd have to keep the CPU fully powered up (e.g.
closer to 2.5 watts consumed).

Marvell has people working on the driver; Michail has better insight
into the driver.
			- Jim