[olpc-software] How fast does it take to write a system from a scratch?

Jim Gettys jg at laptop.org
Wed Mar 15 12:22:57 UTC 2006

Yes, exactly.

It isn't clear we can fit everything we'd like in the boot ROM; but by
putting additional modules and files in a special partition on flash,
one way or the other we should be able to boot this way.  The question
is just how much work it takes to get there.

The biggest headache we have here is the size of the USB modules for usb
storage and wireless, and the drivers themselves.  This is why we're
currently carrying an 8mbit flash on the BOM, even though we'd prefer to
use a 4 mbit part due to cost.
			- Jim

--
Jim Gettys