[olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

Mike Hearn mike at plan99.net
Wed Mar 15 20:24:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 14:15 -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Tim BL's original web program was both an editor and a browser.  He was
> very familiar with Englebart, hypercard, etc.  His mistake was building
> his prototype on NeXT systems, which almost no-one had access to, which
> meant that few of the early web developers could use it, or even
> experience a writable web....

That's cool. I didn't know this, thanks!

I guess now that modern browsers all support contentEditable we're
_nearly_ back to where it all started :) A bit of web hacking and you
could make an transparent modeless wiki. Today contentEditable is
usually used to create word-processor like HTMLArea controls, but
there's no reason why it has to be like that ...