Re: [olpc-software] AbiWord, HIG

It's worth pondering just why large portions of the computer community didn't build on the best designs (and still don't) ... This wouldn't be tolerated in any real science or engineering discipline ...

Cheers,

Alan

At 12:24 PM 3/15/2006, Mike Hearn wrote:
On Wed, 2006-03-15 at 14:15 -0500, Jim Gettys wrote:
> Tim BL's original web program was both an editor and a browser.  He was
> very familiar with Englebart, hypercard, etc.  His mistake was building
> his prototype on NeXT systems, which almost no-one had access to, which
> meant that few of the early web developers could use it, or even
> experience a writable web....

That's cool. I didn't know this, thanks!

I guess now that modern browsers all support contentEditable we're
_nearly_ back to where it all started :) A bit of web hacking and you
could make an transparent modeless wiki. Today contentEditable is
usually used to create word-processor like HTMLArea controls, but
there's no reason why it has to be like that ...